Thursday, December 26, 2013

First chemo

Arrived at hospital at 11:30. The doctors did preliminary exams and put a numbing cream on the port. He should begin treatment in the next 1/2 hour or so.
I obtained necessary signatures to become a directed donor. I can now donate to Evan whenever he needs blood.
Port access is complete and the blood drawn for the study as well as any necessary testing. We should be moved up to the ICU shortly so the actual chemo can begin. It is now 2:00 PM. 
IV has been started with a mixture of sodium and dextrose. This will last for 6 hours. After that they will begin the chemo with a 48 hour infusion of doxorubicin and in between cisplatin for a total of 4 hours.
Update to today.  The infusion of DOX has not started yet.  The staff will not start until his is fully hydrated.  He is close to this number and Meghan feels it will start in the next hour or two.
Evan is up alert and comfortable.
I will be in work tomorrow for the morning and then off to the blood center to donate my first pint.  They will assess my platelets to see if I can be a platelet donor.  I am hoping this will be a positive outcome.
Sherie has the day off and will be in hospital early to be with Meghan and our Superman.

Posts will follow.  I hope everyone has a great night and I am blessed to have an audience.

No comments: